We’re pleased to see our friends the Hemsley sisters have a new series starting on Channel 4 this month. Here’s a video of Melissa and Jasmine visiting our farm in Devon back in 2013:
We like the way they have always put an emphasis on eating organic food and cooking from scratch. They make vegetables the star, and encourage a ‘less and better’ approach to eating meat, ie the better quality the meat you buy, the less you need, as the flavour goes further.
They were guest chefs on our recipe boxes last year, and we’re hoping to have them back again soon. Watch this space!
Here’s a recipe from their new cook book, Good + Simple, which features in the TV series. For more veg-centric recipes and inspiration, follow Riverford on Facebook or visit our website to see our organic veg box range.
Green Goddess Noodle Salad
300g buckwheat (soba) noodles (10.5 oz)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
300g broccoli florets or purple-sprouting broccoli, asparagus or green beans (10.5 oz)
1 medium green cabbage or pak choi, leaves finely shredded
1 medium fennel bulb, finely sliced
1 cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds scooped out and flesh chopped
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1 large ripe avocado, sliced
2 handfuls of fresh green (such as watercress, baby spinach, sliced lettuce or leftover cooked kale)
1 small handful of nuts (such as cashew nuts, peanuts or almonds) or seeds (such as sesame, sunflower or poppy seeds)
4 large handfuls of fresh herbs (such as coriander, mint or basil, or a mixture) roughly chopped
For the Dressing
Grated zest and juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, grated
4cm piece of fresh root ginger (unpeeled if organic) finely grated
2 tsp tamari
A pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli flakes (optional)
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Cook the buckwheat noodles in a large pan of boiling water according to the packet instructions (about 7 mins). Use two forks to tease the noodles apart during the first minute of cooking.
2. When they are tender, drain and rinse under cold water for 15 seconds. Drain again and then toss in the olive oil in a large serving bowl to stop the noodles sticking together. Set aside.
3. Using the same pan, after a quick rinse, steam the broccoli (or other vegetable), covered with a lid, in 4 tbsp of boiling water for 4 minutes until tender.
4. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or shake in a jam jar with the lid on. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then drain.
5. Add the raw veg. spring onions and avocado to the noodles with the greens and steamed broccoli. Pour over the dressing and mix everything together. Top with the nuts or seeds, toasted in a dry pan for a minute if you like, and the fresh herbs.
Good + Simple by Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley (Ebury Press) £25
Eating Well with Hemsley + Hemsley starts Monday 9th May at 8pm on Channel 4.