There’s no doubt about it, people are changing how they eat meat. Whether it’s a movement away from processed meat like sausages, a switch to chicken or a shift in how much red meat they buy, there’s a clear change going on. In an independent survey we commissioned last year, 27% of people said they were eating less meat than a year previously.
We’ve always worked to be a forward-looking business, so after talking to our customers, we’ve made some changes to our meat range to make it suit you better. If you don’t buy meat from us regularly then you may not know about what’s different, so here’s a quick summary of what we’ve done:
- Reduced the minimum meat spend to £17.50 (was £25). As you are eating less meat, this makes sense. Fewer people want to buy a big batch of meat, so we’ve made it easier for you to get a little bit at a time.
- Introduced new ‘everyday’ meat boxes in two sizes, packed with easy cooking cuts like mince, diced meat, prime steaks and chicken breasts.
- Introduced a new ‘butchers’ meat box in two sizes, designed for meat fans and keen cooks. It contains a mixture of interesting cuts including a roasting joint (often slow roasts like pork belly and brisket), stewing cuts, prime steaks and chicken breasts, plus seasonal specials such as venison.
- Chicken will appear more often in all our meat boxes, as requested in customer feedback.
- The new meat range was planned in collaboration with our Riverford chefs, to ensure that what you get meets recipe needs, such as the typical weight of meat needed. They are constantly helping us to refine the range too, just as they do with our veg boxes.
What hasn’t changed:
- All of our meat is still 100% British and 100% organic, produced by farmers who we work with in the long term, agreeing prices in advance and sticking with them.
- We still always buy the whole carcass from our farmers, and we designed the new meat box contents very carefully to ensure we use up every last cut while still giving you what you say you would like. No waste here!
- All of the meat is expertly prepared in the Riverford butchery, near our farm in south Devon.
- You can still build your own bespoke order of meat as before; you just have to hit that £17.50 minimum spend.
- All your meat will still be delivered in insulated, recyclable, reusable packaging, that will keep cool on your doorstep if you are not home for delivery.
Want to see what’s in our meat boxes this week? Take a look at our new meat boxes range here.